Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,000 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
Our recruitment team has an important role to play at Southeastern over the next year and beyond. The success of our business depends on our ability to hire a wide range of managers and technical specialists in professions where there is high competition and a shortage of skills. At the same time, we are focused on recruiting talented customer facing and operational staff who will offer the best possible experience to passengers.
Purpose of the Job
We are currently seeking an experienced recruiter to join our existing team based in Tonbridge.
This role is key to the delivery of a high quality recruitment and selection service at Southeastern. You will have responsibility for a range of internal and external recruitment campaigns for Customer Service, Team Leader and Station Manager positions across the London area.
You will take ownership of the whole process – from attraction and sourcing a diverse applicant pool, to assessment centres (including psychometrics), producing candidate profiles and feedback reports and facilitating the interview process.
It’s important we give both hiring managers and candidates the best experience possible, and focus will be on continuously improving this. Crucially, you will also work to build the skills of hiring managers and the capacity of our recruitment function as a whole. In addition, you will help us to make the most of initiatives such as job fairs and open days.
- You will have proven experience/success working in a recruitment role (preferrably in- house).
- You will ideally be Level A qualified in Occupational Testing and be on the current Register of the British Psychological Society’s Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU). Training can be provided
- Must be able to critically evaluate behaviours and interpersonal skills
- Application of best practice and legislation relating to Recruitment & Assessment techniques
- Application and knowledge of Home Office guidelines for preventing illegal working
- Evidence of a high standard of communication, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, including managers, to explain complex information
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and the ability to work well under pressure with little supervision.
- Able to work independently and achieve individual goals, coupled with excellent team working skills and flexibility in approach to work.
- Awareness of the broader impact of potentially sensitive information and the ability to deal with it appropriately and responsibly
- Excellent level of IT proficiency, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience of using Applicant Tracking Systems (desirable).
- Hold a certificate in HR practice or working towards this (desirable).
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an impressive benefits package which includes a Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme and free travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services. After a qualifying period, you can also look forward to reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services – benefits which extend to family members
You’ll receive 25 days annual holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) and access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products.
If you like what you’ve read here and think you are the person we’re looking for then we’d like to hear from you.
As part of our recruitment process you will complete a series of aptitude tests, and undergo a medical and drugs/alcohol screening, prior to employment.
Southeastern welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, disability or gender and is committed to creating a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation.
Note: Southeastern has a zero tolerance policy on the misuse of drugs and alcohol by employees, therefore you will be required to attend a medical assessment and undergo a Drugs and Alcohol Screening prior to joining Southeastern. If you fail the drugs and alcohol screening or refuse to take the test, your offer of employment will be withdrawn.